1. Even if you want to die, your body will not cooperate. Your skin will form scabs over your cuts and your stomach will contract to cleanse itself of the pills you swallowed. It is in our nature, as humans, to do anything we can to continue our lives. Your body will never stop trying to save you.
2. Don’t lie to yourself.
3. There will be people in your life that will hurt you. You can not prevent this, but you can decide how much pain you will feel.
4. You can never say ‘I love you’ too often.
5. You can not make someone love you. You can only love them and hope that they will return the feeling.
6. Never say ‘I’ll try.’ That will just give you an excuse to fail.
7. School is important. Friends are important. Family and relationships and jobs and responsibilities are important. But nothing is more important than your health and well-being.
8. Be honest, but also be kind.
9. You do not have to justify your actions to anyone but yourself.
10. Being judgmental is unavoidable. However, what you do with that judgement is up to you.
11. Advocating for yourself is one of the best things you can do.
12. If you wake up expecting to have a bad day, then you will have a bad day. Wake up willing to take what the world throws at you and create your own mood.
13. You are in control of your own happiness.”
13 things that the past year has taught me. (e.s.)